Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Writing Meme

Just like last week, a writing meme!  I swear I won't only have memes on the blog from now on, it just ended up that way this week.  Pinky swear.  

You know the rules: there are none.  If you end up doing the meme, let me know.  If not, just comment and say hi, okay?  Because I'm fragile like that.
 
1. List one of your writing goals for the upcoming month and how likely you are to accomplish it.

Well, I have two goals for the next month.  The first is to FINALLY, FINALLY finish revising MISFITS.  I would also, in a really happy world, like to finish my first draft on The New Project.  MISFITS will happen, for sure.  I'm not sure about TNP.  It's taking a while to form in my head, so it may end up being my NaNoWriMo project.  Not sure yet.

2. What genre or subject would you like to write about that you aren't currently?

I don't know.  I'd love to write something like The Mortal Instruments series by Cassie Clare but I don't know if I can put myself through that.  If I still hung posters, Cassie Clare's pic would SO be up there.  Also, a book like Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.  She is insanely amazing.

3. What is your writing lifestyle, habits? How do you manage the interruptions with your writing? How do you stay positive? Believe in your writing success?

a) Writing lifestyle - I'd like to say that I'm really structured and sit down from 9-5, or whatever, to write but I don't.  If I wanted to work from 9-5, I'd go get a real job instead of trying to write books.  I do, however, like to give myself wordcount goals, so I try to write 2k words a day.  On Wednesdays, I like to double the word count, a day I've dubbed Double Up Wednesday.


The only real habit I have is that I make notes after writing for the day, so I know what my thought process was when I start the next day.  It keeps me on track.

b) Interruptions - I mostly glare at people.  Is that wrong?

c) How do I stay positive - Oh boy.  I don't know about this one.  I think I go back and forth between thinking my stories rule to thinking I suck at life.  One day I'm all, "Working on my future best seller right now!" and the next I'm all, "I should just go and get a factory job and never write another word!"  So I really don't know.  I have people who tell me I don't suck.  That helps.

d) Believe in my writing success - I've gotten good feedback, even with rejections and that helps.  It lets me know that I'm close but still need to work harder.  So I keep working.

4. Are you a pantser or plotter? - Pantser.  I love the idea of planning while it also gives me hives.  I feel that if I plan out the whole book, I won't feel like writing it anymore.  I also worry that I'll plan myself into a box.  In general, I know who my characters are when I start and within the first few chapters I have a basic idea of what's going to happen and that's all.  This is the problem I'm having with The New Project right now.  I have NO IDEA what's going to happen and don't want to write more until I do. *shakes fist at ceiling*

5. Who are two of your favorite current authors and why? - Oh my.  This is a ridiculous questions to ask me! Or for me to ask myself!  Okay, okay, OKAY!

I'm going to go with Richelle Mead first because of my obsession with The Vampire Academy.  Also because she is so ballsy, and let me be honest, the person who created Dimitri Belikov deserves a poster on my wall.

Second, I'll go with Stephanie Perkins because she is just GOOD.  I read Anna and the French Kiss in one day, put it down, sent texts to all of my friends telling them to read it, and then picked it up and read it again.  So cute.  I just gave it to a friend as a birthday present, actually.

6. How does your family feel about your writing? - My mom is my biggest fan.  She's Person Who Tells Me I Don't Suck #1.  My sister thinks it's cool but is still silently waiting for me to grow up.  My niece hopes I'll make tons of money so I can buy her a new wardrobe and softball gear.  My dad's side of the family doesn't really know that I write that much.... I kind of never told them.  Don't worry!  I'll send them a book when I get published! *crosses fingers*

Okay, that's it!  Happy Monday!

Brandy

No comments:

Post a Comment