So one of my friends checked out the blog and had a few comments, (and if you follow me on Twitter, you know my friends don't hold back) the conversation went as follows: Friend: It's cool. Me: Just cool? Friend: Well, it's kind of boring. All you do is talk about writing. Me: *stares* Well, it's a blog about my WRITING. Friend: It's just that you're also a person. People are probably reading your blog and thinking who IS this chick? Me: Huh...
So that got me thinking, (and re-reading every post) and I realized that I don't actually talk about myself that much. Just writing. So, for my friends and anyone else who reads this blog, here are ten things about me that have NOTHING to do with writing.
1. I was raised by a single mom. Again, if you follow me on Twitter, you know about my mom. But I think this fact says the most about me because I was totally shaped by my mom's crazy antics and unmeasurable strength. I'm hardheaded, independent and just a titch crazy. I owe all of this to my mother.
2. I'm a typical second child. My sister is seven years older than me and, I believe, was raised by aliens and then planted at our house because we're nothing alike. She LOVES rules and I hate them. She was a beauty queen and I used to draw on the back of the auditorium seats at her pageants. She has never dyed her hair a strange color on purpose and well, I like color. She's freaked out by tattoos and I love them. The only things we have in common are a mother, (so she SAYS) and a thirst for knowledge that has kept us in college for far too long. Oh, and she's a little crazy too.
3. I'm not big on marriage. Don't get me wrong, I love when other people get married and I love weddings. My best friend Meg, who I met on the school bus when we were eleven, got married almost two years ago and it was the best. I even let her set the date for the day after my birthday because I was so excited. (Side note: The year after her wedding, she had a baby on the day BEFORE my birthday. She's taken over my life.) Anyway, I can't commit to a pair of shoes or a hair color, so settling down with a guy for the rest of my life just seems out of reach.
4. I love sports. Seriously, I'm a sports junky. From football to racing to baseball and tennis; I'm obsessed. My guy friends have to tell ME to calm down while watching sports in public. I'm That Girl.
5. My cats are amazing. I have two: Blaze is seven, all black with yellow eyes. He's a loner like me. BooBoo is twelve, a Maine Coon (read: HUGE) and has dependency issues. I got BooBoo when I was fourteen and for the life of me can't remember why I named him that.
6. I'm addicted to Netflix. Oddly enough, I don't watch many movies on Netflix; I stick to TV shows. I'm working my way through the complete series of Friday Night Lights now. Netflix is where I discovered Veronica Mars and Sons of Anarchy. I will be forever grateful.
7. This past January, when my job was "restructured" I was offered a promotion to stay with the company and turned it down to finish school and really give writing a shot. There is a lot of budgeting involved but I'm giving myself a chance to do what I've always dreamed of doing. I know, I know, this is about writing but it's relevant. I'll never ever stop writing, even if I'm never published, but this is a time to focus on it full-time, (along with finishing school) so that when I'm seventy I won't look back and wish I'd gotten a chance to write all of those books I was always thinking about.
8. When I was in college for my associate's degree, I worked at a newspaper but was bored to tears with all of the facts. I like making up stories much better.
9. I don't like Shakespeare. I think he should have just gotten to the point, although I do enjoy his sonnets. This may not seem like a huge deal to a lot of you, but try being a Liberal Studies major in literature class and admitting this. I think they wanted to kick me out.
10. I love to cook. There is nothing more relaxing than baking things, except maybe chopping them. I don't know why but it calms me down. This is why Martha Stewart, Paula Deen and Ina Garten are my heroes and why I watch The Food Network WAY too much.
Okay! So there are some random facts about me. Hopefully this shows my personality a little more so I'm not just that girl who blogs only about writing 24/7.