Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Go hard or go home.

So as it turns out, I'm not very good at leisurely writing a book.  If I'm not putting myself under constant pressure to finish something, I get all, "I'll get right on that!  Tomorrow."  This actually is totally unsurprising to anyone who has ever met me, because I'm a works-well-under-pressure gal.  Yay, Scorpio!  I've always said I'm awesome when things go to crap.  It's when things are going good that I get suspicious.  So anyway, the moral to this story is that if I'm going to write that sequel, I'm going to do it in a month with a hard deadline.  Plus side, I'll be awesome when I'm finally published and am put on deadline.  ::Hear that agents?!::

So now I have to decide what I'm going to do.  Do I put my nose to the grindstone and finish the sequel or try to think of a new idea?  It's silly, but I feel weird putting the amount of energy needed to write a book into a sequel of a book that hasn't been picked up by an agent or sold yet.  And writing for me is cool, but am I missing out on My Next Great Idea (yes, I capitalized it.  It felt right.) because I'm working on something for fun?

There's also something to be said for that buzz I get when I have a new idea.  It's when I know that I'm operating on all cylinders and doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my life when I get an idea that I know I can turn into 50-80 thousand words.  And I miss it.  I haven't worked on anything new since NaNoWriMo and I miss the rush of it.

Maybe I will write something new.  I guess it's time to hit up my ideas list to see what comes up.  If nothing does, then I'll finish the sequel.  A plan!

Before that though, I have finals and revisions for HOOD to finish in the next few weeks.  Then I'll put myself on an intense deadline and stress myself out.  Good times.

Brandy

1 comment:

  1. I *should* be a good friend and tell you to pace yourself, but all I can think is, "Ha ha, more for me to read soon!" :)

    ReplyDelete