Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reading.

So it turns out I like writing about what I'm reading.  I also like having things to blog about every week and since I read as much as I breathe, I figured this will become my Wednesday post.  Some weeks this will be slower than it has lately because I tend to read a little less when I'm writing, but The New Project isn't happening the way I want it to.  I've mentioned before that when I get writer's block, I take it as a sign that something's not right, so I'm sitting back and taking a good hard look at that WIP.  It just so happens I have two other WIPs to revise, so I'm not going to be bored or anything.  I'll figure out what's next for me in time for NaNoWriMo, which I'm stupidly excited about.

Anyway, here is what I've read in the last week and my thoughts.  Remember to let me know what you're reading in the comments, so I can add to my TBR pile!

I picked up Firespell by Chloe Neill kind of randomly at the library last week.  Somehow, I'd never heard of her but being the cover lover that I am, I picked it up and wasn't disappointed at all.  This is a nice little book and the first in The Dark Elite series with a feisty MC that I'd like to be friends with. I'm going to pick up the next book, Hexbound, soon.

You'll notice as I write these posts that I'm a habitual re-reader.  I have books that I read at certain times of the year, every year.  Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Cruise and Bob Mayer is one of those books but that's for another post!  This week, I re-read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins to prepare for her next book.  I'm pretty sure I've written about Anna before on the blog, but I simply cannot tell you how cute this book is.  It also makes me want to work harder in my French class so I can run off the Paris one day.  The inner dialogue in this book cannot be beat.  The "does he or doesn't he?" aspect kills.  It's just so good.  Anyone writing contemporary YA (or any one else on the planet) should read this book.  This is my third read, just to put it into perspective.

Naturally, the next book I picked up this week was Lola and the Boy Next Door, the companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  I was a tiny bit worried about this book, only because it is a companion book and I was concerned I would be too caught up wondering what Anna and St. Clair are up to instead of focusing on Lola but that was unnecessary. Lola held her own even in scenes with the couple and, let me just say, Cricket is the best love interest.  I constantly wanted to hug him, so I figure that's a good sign.  I had major laugh out loud moments and overall, really enjoyed it.  It's absolutely worth the read.  I can't wait for the third book, Isla and the Happily Ever After that comes out next fall. 

I'm on the second chapter of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin right now, so I'll have my thoughts on that next week.

Sooooo, what are you reading? I have a pile of books on my bedside table but I could always use more!

Brandy

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading Moonglass by Jessi Kirby...sniffle, sniffle

    ReplyDelete