Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Adventures in QueryLand.

I have to say that there is nothing more exciting than the query process.  I'm sure there are some aspiring authors out there that hate it, and trust me, there have been times when I've received rejections and hated the whole thing.  But it's just so exciting.  I was talking to a friend about it today and although you are basically putting yourself out there and saying "judge me!" there is still a sense that something big is about to happen.  And that's how I feel.

Here's the back story on... well, my story.  I wrote my current manuscript, KILLER CUPCAKES, over three years ago.  It was my second completed MS and I wrote it in thirty days.  It was the easiest book I've ever written.  My first took a year and a half, I never sent it out and while I love it, it didn't just come together like KILLER CUPCAKES.  I'm a third of the way into my third MS and it feels a lot like KC did, although it's taking more than thirty days.  Anyway, I sent KC out once I'd finished and edited it and got a good response from agents, but then I got a job that took all of my attention away from the book.  I know, not smart at all.  But it's just what life gave me at the time and I accept that.  But I'm back on my game now and I'm getting good responses again, and I've even made it to the final 3 out of 150 in an amazing agency's contest.  It feels good.

There are a lot of differences this time besides my age though.  I feel like I know more about the process now and I also know what it feels like to be in the middle of finishing an MS, sending it out and all the while, trying to continue writing.  You get so wrapped up in the idea of QueryLand with agents who can finally give you your big break.  You're creating a blog, twitter and anything else to get your name out there.  You love this book so much, you're envisioning the cover and what you'll wear to book signings.  It's fun.  What I've learned though, is that you have to stay focused on writing.  You spend so much time loving your finished book that you lose a little bit of that word monster you've been for however long it took you to write your book.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with getting your name out there because... hello, this is my blog.  And I'm on twitter.  But what is most important when trying to become a published author is that you write.  Period.  Not only because you have to keep your mind off of QueryLand for your sanity (because you totally do) but because you don't want to be a One Book Wonder, ya know?

So write.  And so will I.  Then we'll all put our heads together to figure out what we'll wear to our book signings. :)

-Brandy

No comments:

Post a Comment